Saturday, January 21, 2012

HEALTHY Chocolate Mousse? :)



A few weeks ago, my boyfriend and I went out to dinner with a friend to a Vegan restaurant and ordered the chocolate mousse cake for dessert. It was a moderate sized serving, and VERY rich. So rich that 3 or 4 small bites were enough to curb my 'after dinner sweet craving'. AND the best part...it was raw, fresh and made out of healthy ingredients. So, I went on a mission to find a recipe whose ingredients appealed to me. I found this one, made it today and it was amazingly yummy!

Organic raw chocolate, also known as raw cacao, is higher in magnesium than any other food on the planet. Magnesium is the number one mineral deficiency in the world. Raw cacao is also the #1 source of antioxidants, iron and chromium. So if you’re a chocolate lover just trade the commercial, processed chocolate for raw organic cacao. Then trade in the guilt for the satisfaction and joy of knowing you’re eating one of the healthiest foods on the planet. If you’re new to raw cacao it comes in a few different forms. The ones I buy are broken bits of bean called nibs and cacao powder. They are both good for you. The cacao powder is convenient, but it has the cacao butter removed, so you are losing that healthy fat. The nibs can be ground down into a powder in a coffee grinder. If you don't have cacao, you can opt for cocoa powder, which I did today, b/c I'm on a cleanse right now, and chocolate is NOT on the list. :( That's what inspired this blog. A girls gotta have her chocolate fix!

Ingredients:

1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1 ripe banana, peeled (can use a frozen banana if you want a chilled version)
2 tbsp sweetner (honey or 2-3 pitted medjool dates)
5 tbsp raw organic cacao powder or organic raw cacao nibs (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
1/2 tsp natural vanilla (extract or vanilla bean powder)
1 tsp maca powder (optional)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
dash of Himalayan sea salt

Instructions:

Add all the ingredients to a high powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy. You can add a little water or almond milk (which I used...just enough to blend it to a mousse consistency), if necessary to keep the ingredients moving so they blend thoroughly. I prefer using my Vitamix for this so that all of the ingredients are grind down fine enough to avoid chunks and hence, easier to digest. I'm a rep for them, and can provide you with a discount code if you're interested in buying one. I COULD NOT imagine my life without one!

Serve immediately.

I topped it off with a few crystals of Turbinado (coconut sugar) and hemp seeds. A dessert with healthy ingredients, anti-oxidants, electrolytes, and ALL preserved in their raw state. It seriously doesn't get any better than this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment